Friday, May 25, 2012

Xander's Nursery

I wanted to share with everyone the little guy's room. My family and friends close to me know I have a hard time designing for my self, even though it is what I do for a living. But this room was 9 month's in the making. When I first found out I was pregnant I could immediately picture what I wanted a little girls room to be. But I was so confused on what to do for a boy, and since I don't like the typical baby rooms this was a challenge. Since we live in a tiny 2 bedroom, and the closet in the babies room was my closet. We had to figure out wear all of the babies stuff was going to go. I knew I wanted it to be modern but all of the Modern cribs were so expensive, we were trying to do the room on a budget. We found the perfect one at Walmart.com of all places! 


Before we knew the gender we took a trip to IKEA to find some storage furniture, we came home with a combination of bookcases with doors. The idea was to create a wardrobe, so we added some rods and TADA a mini closet for the little dude. After finding out he was a he we painted the room a light grey with a lime green accent wall. I didn't want his room to look like a babies room just a fun room that he could also be a toddler in! The room was still missing a dresser/changing table and a chair. Both of these things I was very picky about! One weekend my mom and I went on a furniture hunt in Jenks and Tulsa. We found the chair at our favorite antique furniture store in Jenks. The chair was hideous it was upholstered in a light blue country cutesy fabric with an awful ruffled skirt, my mom took over the task of making a slip cover it in a grey micro-seude. Also at this antique store I found the most amazing bulldog bookends which had to come home with us.

The dresser was more of a challenge I wanted something Mid-Century Modern but everything I liked was either already sold or way to expensive. The hunt lasted all day and took us all over Tulsa, we finally found the perfect piece at a Junk store pilled high with tons of stuff and under all of the boxes of stuff peeking out was THE dresser! It was just what I was looking for and was a very well-built piece with some water spots. We got it for a steal and after sanding it I decided Teal was the way to go...but if you have looked at the pictures you will notice that there is not a teal dresser or a green wall but in fact there is a green dresser with a striped wall. Yes that's right I changed design directions midway through! We decided on painting grey stripes on the wall in varying shades, witch we both LOVED! But we still wanted to incorporate the green so the green that was on the wall became the color for the dresser. 



 We are not theme type people but we needed some art for the room and because we love our puppy children so much I decided they needed a place in his room! I wanted it to be fun but still depict our pups. After a lot of thought and research I decided some paint by number inspired portraits of each dog was just what that wall needed! I really like how they turned out and the colors used in the portraits helped direct the color palate in the rest of the room. 



 This prompted another trip to IKEA because lets face it, it is hard to find inexpensive modern pieces. A girls trip to Dallas and we came home with a cream rug, two large floor pillows one in grey and one black and white, an orange patterned pillow, a fake sheep skin rug, a black and white throw, a light fixture, a green fleece blanket, curtains and doggie but hooks, !  The doggie but hooks were the only thing from the kids section and were a must, they added a bit of humor to the space and went along with the portraits.

 The oval ottoman was a craigslist find and at 15 dollars it was the cheapest option, my mom recovered it in the same fabric as the chair. It has extra storage and cool metal legs, andI love how it helps soften the room by adding some curves with all of the square edges in the rest of the room.




 I didn't expect to find so much at IKEA and didn't think I liked some of the things I picked up until they were all in the basket and that is where it came together. The curtains which I thought were going to be something I was going to make were one of those odd things I picked up and thought they might work, but at 14 dollars for a pair I liked the idea even more. They have these graphic tree branches with birds on them, however they were thin and let too much light through but after adding some blackout fabric to the back and black ball fringe to the edge they were better then I imagined they could be.




The cubbies above the dresser were built by my Dad, the things we use frequently are stored here and it really helps keep us organized. I made the changing pad cover as well as the crib sheets because I couldn't find anything in our color scheme. The lamp and baskets were from Target. 


 I think the wardrobe turned out really well, it provides a lot of hanging space as well as storage for all of his shoes!! 

I absolutely love how it turned out and I think it is our favorite room in the house!  I hope you guys like it too!

1 comment:

  1. So cute!! Not that I am surprised, you have great taste!!

    ReplyDelete